Tuesday, January 30, 2007

From the homepage, I went to 'projects' in the upper right nav bar. I first went to 'Experience Design' first. It looked like it MIGHT contain videos in an option that wasn't immediately obvious. I explored a bit through hyperlinks and found nothing. I backed out to the homepage and tried 'Identity' with the exact same results. The web browser back button also sent me back to the course homepage where the hyperlink originated each time.

I finally tried the third option down - Interactive. Exploring, I lucked out with the first hyperlink I found and located the web videos for Honda. Probably twelve or so clicks total until I found the webvid page. The layout is very confusing in that the remainder of their project pages


The second task was easier. I was tempted to click on 'Company' but chose 'Contact' and was presented with the list of options to where their stateside offices were. I chose the New York office and was taken to mapquest, where a map was not immediately available, but rather the address to the location - this is where the error occurred. I went to 'map this location' and finally saw the map.

Gestalt would have a fit with this. The homepage alone places the most emphasis on their featured video projects, and less emphasis on their primary navigation bar. The navigation bar is small text in the upper right of the corner (it is not the first place the avg person starts to look) and appears as a sub-menu to the site.

The actual submenus were also not clearly distinguished from each other in terms of easily identifiable genres. It would've helped to have visual icons to compensate for this.

The news section had the appearance of an undeveloped page. The link icons were blurred (of course which clear when the cursor hovers over them). And the fact that text doesn't appear until that point was frustrating. This means you have to hover over each icon in order to browse to get to the story that you want. They appear grouped randomly with no discernable genres to them.

In text pages, there was a great waste of visual space throughout. Users are prompted to scroll down constantly when it is unnecessary (and the scroll bar doesn't work very well.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home